Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Romans 1:1-11

Because I commented last night that I have my best quiet times while journaling, I decided to give Abby's method a try. So here goes!
Roma 1:1 Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called [as] an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,
Whoa! So much there already. Paul considers himself to be a bond-servant of Jesus. Those who know the OT history recognize that a bond-servant is one who has been set free, but out of his love for his master, he remains a servant. What do I need to change to consider myself a bondservant of the Most High?
Called as an apostle. -by Jesus Himself.
set apart for the gospel. Oh, that each of us would recognize our calling and commission - set apart to be an ambassador for Christ. In the world, but not of it.
2 which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures,
The gospel is not a new thing in the New Testament. It is the fulfillment of everything that was written before. God spoke through His prophets and gave us pictures - shadows - of the reality of Christ.
3 concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh, 4 who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord,
Jesus proved He was God the Son by the power of His resurrection. That Spirit - that POWER - that raised Jesus from the dead - that Spirit of holiness - IS Jesus Christ our Lord
5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about [the] obedience of faith among all the Gentiles, for His name's sake,
and it is through Him that we receive grace and our mission to help everyone to come to faith in obedience.
How can we help people come to faith? Obedience of faith? Jesus says if we love Him, we will obey Him. I believe the main thing He wants us to obey is to come to faith in Himself. If we are sensitive to the power of the Spirit's leading, we will understand better how to lead people to a saving, obedient faith in Jesus.
6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;
THE CALLED. Not called, but THE CALLED. Paul was called - we are called. The called.
7 to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called [as] saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Called - as saints. Grace and peace - think about that - Grace from God/Peace from God Himself and the Lord Jesus Christ. We have God's grace. How awesome is that?
And yes - let's not forget - this is being proclaimed to the Italians - those beloved of God in Rome :)!
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, because your faith is being proclaimed throughout the whole world
The FIRST thing Paul wants to do it to thank God because their faith is being proclaimed all over the world. Wow.
9 For God, whom I serve in my spirit in the [preaching of the] gospel of His Son, is my witness [as to] how unceasingly I make mention of you, 10 always in my prayers making request, if perhaps now at last by the will of God I may succeed in coming to you.
Paul prays for them - a lot. How often do we pray for others?
11 For I long to see you in order that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be established; 12 that is, that I may be encouraged together with you [while] among you, each of us by the other's faith, both yours and mine.
The goal is to build into others - and as we do, we are each encouraged. As I think through the people I'm involved with, I have to ask - What spiritual gift can I impart? How can I build into them? Who has the greatest needs and needs to be encouraged the most? What spiritual gift are they lacking the most? Spirit, speak to my heart as I seek You.

Father, thank You for Your word today - thank You for the spiritual gifts You give and the POWER of Your Spirit of holiness to help us to know how to help others and to live godly lives for You. I thank You for Your church - may we be ones who proclaim You and may our faith be recognized as genuine. May Your gospel go forth in power! In Jesus' Name. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home